Thursday, July 25, 2019

Empowered!

So very sorry for my absence . . . not one who likes to complain . . . and creativity has taken a hit of late. BUT . . . today, I feel empowered!

As things of late have been . . . sucky to say the least . . . culminating in a dentist appointment today after a (hate to admit it) 8 year absence, I expected it to be another "sucky" day. I'm a dental-phobic. Yes, after a childhood of horrid dental experiences with the dentist from hell (I'm sure he's languishing there after dying from cancer years ago . . . karma's a bitch.) I was a nervous wreck!  It's like REALLY low on my priority list . . . but, I do have two cavities that needed attending to. Dreading this like the plague, it turned out to be not so bad. They were impressed with how clean my teeth were and what little work needs to be done . . . whew! I left there feeling . . . empowered! YES . . . I SURVIVED! ! !

So, I came home ready to tackle the world!

My mother has been the main focus lately as she's had some medical issues. She's 92 and living with dementia in an assisted living facility not far from me. She still knows me but her memory capacity is about 5 minutes long. She developed shingles a week ago on her forehead and I had to take her to the ER for confirmation and treatment. Two days later she had a relapse of cellulitis in her right leg and refused to stand/walk . . . back to the ER. This time, they admitted her. It was suggested, after 5 days that she go to a nursing home/rehab facility. They needed her new Medicare number to admit her . . . I've never received her new card. That began the saga of government bureaucracy. To make a long story short . . . a Power of Attorney means nothing to the government. After visits to Social Security and calls to SS and Medicare, I was able to create an account online and print out her new Medicare card . . . no way to change her address with them at this time. She is finally settled into the Nursing Home and not too interested in working on her physical therapy . . . this is not good. So that consumed my week. I will be going out of town tomorrow for the weekend but, come next week she WILL get a "kick in the pants" to get on with her therapy!

During this time dealing with my mother I got a letter from the Missouri Department of Revenue . . . a 10 day Demand Notice threatening to revoke my business license for their state . . . for a late fee ($18.70) for my Sales Tax submission for an event I vended at last September. I dealt with this "late fee"  in May and remitted the amount although the woman I talked to on the phone could not confirm what the late fee was for. The event was held in August of 2017 and then changed to September in 2018 . . . was it a late fee because the date changed or was a late fee because I was a day or two late mailing my payment because their website is a nightmare! Who knows. I called them and told them I sent the payment in May and the bank has cleared the check. He said they are behind in posting and suggested that I send the payment in again and when they get around to posting both payments I can ask for a refund . . . seriously??? I said NO and told him to go ahead and revoke the license and I'll just vend and not collect the sales tax this September . . . come to TN and arrest me! Sent them an email and have heard NOTHING!

Next irritant, we had our house painted in June . . . or that was the plan. The color we picked was not the shade the painter used . . . but, we liked it. He ran out of paint and went to get some more . . . hmmm, not the same color . . . don't like this shade as well. Rain delayed the painting and also the inspection of the painting.  Once the weather cleared and we were able to actually walk around the house, we saw that the paint color didn't match . . . multiple colors on several walls . . . we asked for Satin and it's clearly Flat paint. He swears he's going to make it right and yet has not shown up for two weeks. I bought a can of the paint this week that we chose and today I started painting the house myself! I also called the painter . . . got his answer machine . . . and left this message:  "We have started painting the house ourselves because it is obvious you're not interested in coming back. If you do not come and get your ladders, buckets and supplies, by next Friday, we will donate them to Habitat For Humanity . . . just to let you know" No call back . . . not a peep.

So . . . today . . . painted for two hours and then cut the grass! Great sense of accomplishment ! ! ! My framing is ready for a piece I designed for next year . . . will pick that up next week. Have a magazine deadline that's due by August that I haven't stared on yet . . . YIKES!

Meanwhile, the hubs is out of town having the time of his life at the Oshkosh Air Show . . . probably shouldn't post this . . .  he'll expect me take care of business like this all the time!

So . . . the message here is:  DON'T MESS WITH ME . . . I'M NOT IN THE MOOD . . . I SURVIVED THE LAST FEW WEEKS AND THE DENTIST TODAY . . . LOOK OUT WORLD!

Have yourself a Margarita (like I just did) and enjoy an evening of stitching . . . that's where I'm heading!

~*


5 comments:

  1. You deserve a large Gin and Tonic after that - or whatever your preferred tipple is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geez,you are busy!
    Sorry to hear about your Mom, Dementia is awful to deal with.
    Sometimes you're better off doing the job yourself, right?
    People don't want to work nowdays & when they do, they do a crappy job.
    Sounds like they don't know what they're doing at Revenue dept either.
    I hope that was a giant Margarita!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to read of all the not-so-good happenings in your world. But yay on the good dentist results - the right dentist and hygienist make all the difference in the world on how I feel about going. I tried to deal with SS office to change my dad's address as well. They made dealing with the IRS people I had to call downright pleasant! I could understand a pleasant "sorry we can't do that because...." but all they'd say is "no you father must do that or you need to get appointed by SS admin as represenatative payee" and in quite a snotty tone and would not describe what that was. I do NOT look forward to dealing with them when I file for SS when I retire.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww,Bonny! What about a kick-ass birthday Party for her , too, next March, like i deserve and am going to get?? Poor grandma hurting herself... I'm glad we still have her...i love stitching too, and want to get back to Sunland tujunga's free library quilting class, but until i have the time, and the recommended donation,but i fear theres a sweat shop thing going on there,too..although...after what mom said, that people who do work on quilts and don't get paid usually do it because they love it, maybe it wouldn't be so bad... I just have my part time jobs, to keep me busy, and keeping my apt clean, mh treatment and like a couple friends ,whom of which changes week to week...bless you, Bonny! I'm sorry that's happening, w the difft ppl/agcies but where is everyone

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you on going to the dentist (I'm not a fan of going and put it off for years back in the 80s and then again from 2004 to 2012). Glad your teeth look very clean to them. Sorry about your Mom's issues! Have a relaxing weekend!

    ReplyDelete