Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Cousin George's House

I am distantly related to George Washington . . . his grandmother was the sister of my (I forget how many greats) grandmother . . . making him a distant cousin I guess (is this where you start the "removed" stuff?  I've never understood that part).  So, of course, I had to visit Mount Vernon with a new eye!  I was last there about 12 years ago and since then they have expanded the gardens and added animals making it more like the working farm it was.

This is really the back of the house, but I think it's the most recognizable picture of Mount Vernon.  The picture below is actually the front:




  It's such a great spot for a house sitting up on a rise  overlooking the Potomac River.





The gardens are very nice and although it was in the 80's today, there was a nice breeze so walking around wasn't too bad.







I managed to spend over 3 hours here . . . there's a lot of land and things are spread out if you choose to see it all.  I bought a few souvenirs . . . including a cross-stitch kit of the house with a shell border.  I'll be stitching it on linen and not the aida cloth in the kit.

So . . . I had to go to the needlework store . . . In Stitches . . . to get the linen AND to see if they would be interested in carrying The Nebby Needle charts.  YES!  They now have 3 of each chart!!!  Thank you Ellen!!!  I proceeded to spend almost as much as I made . . . well, I couldn't just buy one piece of linen now could I.  They are well stocked and I had to control myself . . . two charts, 3 pieces of linen and one skien of thread I needed later . . . it was time to go "home" and walk the dog!!!

~*

No comments:

Post a Comment